Saturday 14 June 2014

One Chemo Too Far



Chemo cycle 3 went ahead as planned. Normally I am ‘0ut of action’ for about a week. This time however, now 4 weeks later I am still suffering from the side effects. My oncologist agreed with me – no more chemo as my body has now become too toxic. So I have come to the end of the treatment she can offer me. I had a scan on Thursday and will see the oncologist in 2 weeks time. 

Meanwhile I had an appointment with the palliative care consultant at the hospice. He took lots of blood samples which showed I was anaemic so on Monday I was in at the crack of dawn for a blood transfusion. It certainly made me look a better colour (no longer a ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ and more ‘Lily the Pink’ says Alan), and much less breathless but it did nothing to raise my mood – I thought I would be running around like a spring chicken! 

I have been told that I need to lower my expectations as to what I hope to achieve now – this is so hard to do and makes me so sad. I am so pleased that I have such a wonderful carer in Alan. I have another appointment at the hospice on Monday – I am hoping for some nutritional advice/help as I am eating so little.

I hope this brief summary will explain why the blog has not been updated for a while and why emails have largely gone unanswered. Will try and do better!

I receive daily photos of the Grandies. Our lovely Lilah is 3 tomorrow – we will Skype and pop in to her party. They all had a great time together in Florida and I have many, many photos to sort through.

Kissing Cousins!

Please continue with your support. Good wishes, prayers and positive thoughts are what we need right now.
Tess x

3 comments:

  1. Tess you have been so strong and such a fighter, keep on going at it's you against the disease and you really need to hold on for a while longer yet. So sorry that the chemo is now having such bad effects on you but if will power and prayers will help then you know you have all you need.

    Take things easy and don't expect too much from yourself but don't give in either.
    Lots of love and hugs
    Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that the chemo is now having such an adverse effect on you Tess. You know that we will give you all the love, prayers and positive vibes that we can muster.Keep going my friend knowing that you have a lot of friends fighting this battle alongside you.
    As always you are never far from my thoughts

    Lots of love and gentle hugs
    Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling Tess, you are always in my thoughts. I hope your hospice team can help you to get as much as possible from every day.
    Sending you lots of love and hugs
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete