Thursday 6 February 2014

Ups and downs

My Amaryllis flowered this week!

Since my last posting life has been a series of ups and downs.

We managed a great weekend in London catching up with lots of friends and family. We started with a lovely lunch with Tony and Roz, lots of news to catch up with including of course, the relative merits of Arsenal and Everton. Then on to join the party for Jean’s 70th birthday. So good to catch up with the Clarks and Parkers and their partners and offspring. Excellent food, wine and company. Thank you Greg and Julia for being the perfect hosts as always. We stayed in the local Travelodge which was pretty grim but convenient. We headed home on Sunday after catching up with several friends for breakfast in the local cafe Rouge. Thank you Ray for rallying the troops.


Dom, Greg, Alan



Julia, Paul, Jason and Birthday Girl Jean

Tess, Julia, Greg
Jean and Tess and Greg!


Tess, Florence, Paul, Alan

Jean & Paul - great speeches.

After rest day on Monday we were out again for lunch on Tuesday, with Bernie & Norma at the Pearson’s Arms in Whitstable. Excellent fare again but we will leave our next visit until the weather improves as it was sooo windy.

On Wednesday I had a review with the Consultant in Palliative Care at my local hospice. I am still trying to work out a possible treatment plan so there was lots to talk about. Pain control is also becoming an issue and he has prescribed morphine for when non-prescription drugs are no longer effective. Getting scarey now! I am seeing both the consultant at Barts and my oncologist over the next few days, exploring all options. This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make and I am so scared of making the wrong one. Alan reassures me that whatever choice I make is the right one because I made it.

By Thursday both Alan and I were suffering from the lurgy – streaming colds and chesty coughs which really knocked us for 6 for a few days. Must have been too much hugging and kissing the previous weekend! We are just about functioning normally again.

The Grandies continue to keep us amused. Lilah now has a super duper toboggan which she took great delight in demonstrating for us when we Skyped last week. Still plenty of snow in Toronto. Ethan visited the Natural History Museum and was very impressed with dinosaurs.

I won’t comment on the weather as I am sure we have all had enough but the garden is certainly confused with daffodils about to bloom, hellebores in flower, bulbs shooting up very quickly and roses in bud, full flower and hips!

The meso community was deeply saddened to hear of the death of dear Jan. She was a true warrior and fought to the bitter end. I have good memories of meeting Jan a couple of times and how positive and upbeat she always was. My condolences to her husband Gary and her family. RIP Jan.
Steve has started on his journey into the unknown on a drug trial in Oxford. I wish you every success Steve and am thinking of you.

Tess x

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos Tess. Looks like a good time was had my all. I agree with Alan that whichever decision you make will be the right one, and once you have made it - you mustn't even think about the 'what if's' of the other choice but concentrate on the path you have chosen.
    Love and hugs
    Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures Tess, you really look as if you enjoyed every minute of it despite the Travel Lodge. I am in agreement with Alan and Beryl, I know whatever path you choose will be the right one for you so don't let anyone try to distract you from veering down that path
    Love and gentle hugs
    Trish xx

    ReplyDelete